With the calving season starting or just about to start around many farms in the country we decided to give our members new and old a refreshment on registering calves through Herdwatch to some tips and hints that should help you through one of the busiest times of the year.
Registering a Calf from scratch:
Follow this steps in Herdwatch and you'll have your calves registered in no time.
- Press the orange plus button in the bottom right hand corner
- Click on "Register a Calf"
- Click "Add New Calf" (top of the screen)
- Select Gender
- Input the relevant details for the calf
- Date of Birth
- Tag Number
- Calving Difficulty
- Pedigree Name
- BDGP information
- Click "Save" in the top left hand corner
- Click on "REGISTER CALF NOW"
Note: To send your calf details to the department you will need to know your Herdwatch 6 digit pin. Your 6 digit pin would have been sent to you via email when you did the link up between Herdwatch and Ag Food. If you cant find this email contact us and we can send you a new one.
"I have made a mistake inputting the calf information how can I change this?"
If you have made a mistake when inputting the calf's details this can be edited by pressing the magic wand button in the top left hand corner. Be sure to correct the mistakes before you send it off to the department.
Setting up an AI bull
If you use Artificial Insemination on the farm it's likely that you have used 4/5 AI bulls throughout the whole herd. It is possible to input their details in Herdwatch so they can be easily selected as sires when registering calves to them. To do this follow these steps.
- Click the Plus Button in the bottom right hand corner
- Click "Do Something Else"
- Click on "New Stock Bull / AI Bull / Calf" > "AI Bull"
- Fill in the bulls AI Code and Breed
- Click "Save " in the top right hand corner
The bull will now appear in a list when selecting a calf sire.
Did You Know?
If you record your serves in Herdwatch apart from having your cows due to calf list it makes calf registration very efficient. The reason for this is because the calves dam and sire has already been recorded from the AI serve you only have to fill out the gender, tag number and calving difficulty.
While calving is on the brain why not download our Pre-Calving Checklist by clicking below.